Tuesday, March 28, 2017

When life causes you to ask: WTF?

     I'm sure you've been there, maybe not a WTF moment but something like it. I know I've had a few of those moments this week... We're in a new home, getting adjusted to our new environment. We're not necessarily a new schedule, although Cookiepants decided it was time to get up and yell about life at 5 am. But there are moments where you think to yourself What the heck?

   I'll begin by saying, I don't understand it either but I know that One that knows everything and somehow, that makes those moments at least a little easier. It's been a long week, a very long week and I'd like nothing more than to sleep for the next week straight. Here I am, it's only Tuesday morning. My weeks don't look like most other people's weeks, weekends don't exist for me. One week literally runs right into the next seamlessly.

   Last week, all week long, I packed up our house. Friday we moved and I've been unpacking and organizing ever since. The house looks pretty good if I might say so myself, it's been worth all the hard work. Although, my husband has played the largest role in making things happen as concerns the heavy lifting.

    I've prayed for sleep, good quality sleep--- just a little, maybe to make up for the lack in sleep I've had for the last 3 years. Last night it was one thing after another, sleep slowly slipping through my fingertips. It's pretty common around here, the lack of sleep. With Cookiepants, you never know when you're going to be woken up and it likely won't be in a pleasant way. This morning was no different.

    When Cookiepants broke her leg, that was a WTF moment. After she had surgery and has continued to get acid reflux and frequently chokes, those are still WTF moments. We work as hard as we can to keep her happy; fed, comfortable and that her needs are beyond met. Still, there is a great amount of discontentment. When we got the news after Cookiepants was born that there was something wrong- there wasn't anything that I/we did wrong to cause this. It's infinitely frustrating when you do everything you're supposed to do and it still doesn't work out right or turn out the way it should have. What are we supposed to do?

   I've seen this meme going around; "When something goes wrong in life, just yell, PLOT TWIST! and move on."
     It's not quite that easy but I think that's the right idea... We can't sit here and think about what we're missing out on or what we gave up or the struggle ahead because if we do, we'll stay in a mindset of lack. We must do away with the negative thinking, immediately.

    If I sat here and thought about the reality of the "fate" laid upon me, I wouldn't be able to get out of bed in the morning, much less, function. Oh yeah, it's that heavy. So, I don't think about it and I give it to God. Today is the day the Lord has made and today is my only focus. I can't focus on anything else. There is nothing but today... So when you have those WTF moments- the big ones, stay present. Fight to stay present because you can't fast forward beyond this moment right now. Stay in the moment that caused you to be so bewildered. Take it in and give it over to God. That's all we can do. We must stay flexible in this life, if we're unable to, we'll never find peace or happiness.

   Our enemy loves to attack us when we're already down or tired or feeling weak. It's his specialty. It's funny, I was going to touch on this subject right here, I took a minute sized break to get my daughter breakfast off the stove... A whole series of events unfolded. As I mentioned earlier, I'm severely under-slept- bring on the attacks, right? I put her oatmeal in the fridge to cool it down faster, I bumped it on something when i went to take it out, it slipped from my hands and fell on the floor shattering. Then the bottom shelf in the fridge fell out, Cookiepant's milk fell out and cracked open, leaking all over the floor too! Wow! In just a moment. I didn't get mad. I made a joke about how we talked about getting a new dish set anyhow. That was a WTF moment- really... Like seriously, in a split second, all that happened. I just have to laugh. What else am I supposed to do?

    But for the bigger moments, give it over to God. Those things that hit us sideways, that take the breath right out of our lungs... Give it to God. You can't control it anyway. It's funny how everyday we fool ourselves into believing that if we do all the right things in all the right ways that everything will turn out right. It just isn't so. This is earth, not heaven. Only in heaven will everything be made right, not here on earth. That's why we yearn for it so deeply, we all know some where deep within us that things just aren't right here. Cancer. Sick babies. Starving people. Crime. Abused animals. Whatever it is that disturbs you, you know it isn't right; it isn't just, it isn't okay... We're in enemy territory, where anything unjust is capable of happening no matter what we do.

    Give it to God and move forward. You'll be a different person, hopefully a better person, not a bitter one. God helps you to not become bitter. Jesus will strengthen you through the days as you work through your struggle. I can personally attest to that. And God is sovereign.

   I hope this helps, in those moments and others. I know we're all going through some sort of a struggle, my struggle doesn't look the same as yours and vice versa. Life is tough but it doesn't have to be as tough as we make it up in our mind. We dwell and beat ourselves up. It's time to just let it go, feel the feelings, yell if you must but let God take it. He's in control anyhow.

    I pray your day is blessed.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment