Tuesday, March 7, 2017

My love affair

     When what I had wasn't enough, I reached outside of my limitations. When what I had didn't satisfy me, I chased after what did.

     Chips. Yes, that's right, chips. I've had a love affair with junk food since before I was a teenager. Oh man, I've loved chips for a long time!

    I went vegan almost a year ago now, it was a lifestyle change that I needed for me, for the environment— everything. I don't regret my decision, not even a little bit. It hasn't been a difficult move for me, just keeping the variety is a bit difficult sometimes. Especially during the winter (which is way too long) I'm more of a salad kind of gal and during the winter it doesn't always satisfy. I love my comfort food, like really love it. Before I went vegan nothing satisfied me more than twice baked potato soup with extra bacon. Oh my gosh!

    So, potatoes. They are (in my opinion) a food group all their own. You can do almost anything with them. But for me, on the fly or a quick snack, I loved a handful of potato chips. Or even these other chips I had found - that were vegan but I couldn't stop eating them! But after my stomach feeling like it was on fire every night and gaining a few water weight pounds, I knew it was time to give them up. Ugh, the sodium content... That's what was killing me. I guess I really have to watch that. It lit me up at night, no matter how much water I drank it didn't take away the burn. And it had tremendously slowed down my digestion. So it was time to go.

    This hasn't been easy... I pack chips in my husbands work lunch everyday. There is a small basket on top of the fridge containing all the chips too. I see them all the time. But you know what, this is how I gave up soda too. I had a 12 pack of throwback Pepsi in my house when I gave it up, it was torn open with a few soda's missing. Every time I walked past it, it called to me... Haha. I kept saying no.

    I guess my point in all of this, is that we all struggle with something. And when it's time to give something up, it will just happen. Not by beating ourselves up. Not my shaming or guilting. It will just naturally happen. I know there are other people out there struggling with something greater than a chip addiction. Don't shame them. Don't judge them. Support them. Encourage them.

    I've been there. I used to drink. I wasn't an out of control alcoholic but a textbook alcoholic is defined as someone who has a habit in relation to alcohol. Whether it's the time of day they have it or that they have even one drink a day. It's still considered a habit. Especially if a day isn't missed. That was me. I began reasoning, I'll just drink every other week. And I did. I did just fine with that. But I looked forward to it. Or I'd have a few too many on that week- because I was making up for lost time. I've been freed from alcohol for almost 6 years this coming June. I haven't had a drop and I don't miss it one single bit! It didn't add anything to my life. Just like chips haven't either.

    I know this is kind of a goofy post but I felt like I had to share this one because it's real, it's real to me. This post is very much keeping in step with the publication of: Human, being. In the way that it was a hang up of mine, even though seemingly trivial. But it was a hang up for me.

     In my spirit for going on a year or so now, a prompting to take a proverbial roto-rooter to my life. I've been doing it little by little and un-strategically. I've been handling the things that are brought to my attention by way of the Holy Spirit. One by one these things, whether little or big are left at the wayside. Not by my doing but through a strength only God can give. There are other things, smaller and bigger things but I am confident when their number is called, they will fall to the side as well. My God is bigger than anything I can manage to have a fond attachment to. That, it something I can count on.

    I hope this encourages someone, whether food is an addiction for you or if it's something else. If you have any questions about veganism, just ask. I'm always happy to talk about it. I don't however respond to criticism and ridicule. I choose not to give my time or energy over to those such things.

    Have a blessed day my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment